Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Transformation

Some things are so transformative that we don't recognize the degree to which things will change until the waves of those changes fall over us. The iPad is like that for me. The speech recognition software has altered everything about how I right. It allows me to go directly to thought into word. It allows the musicality of the words in my brain expressed so immediately beautiful. I am in awe of the way it has opened a world to me that I thought nearly inaccessible because of the way it tied me to space. Not because I didn't want to write.  No, it was because of the weight and heaviness associated with carting a computer every which way and where I went. The way in which computer forces you into a particular form and function and space, preventing your thoughts from expressing themselves without edit and into a particular form and function. The iPad and it's speech recognition is freeing from such structured thought. That allows the open expression into a world unexplored.

had no real reason to need or want an iPad. I just knew that I wanted to have one. I was resistant to the electronic book. I had the means of accessing the Internet, whenever I wanted. So, in terms of need, I had no need. But no interest in accessing Tracy games whenever and wherever I wanted. The idea of putting my nose into another electronic device all day long was repulsive. I spend enough time on a computer at work. The constant availability of email and voicemail is stressful. And yet, I knew that I wanted one. So my husband and I gifted ourselves with iPads this year. I haven't had it a week, and I already know that this was will transform my life as much as having a cell phone did. I resisted that one also.

I believe that this iPad will transform nearly every aspect of my life in more ways than I can possibly imagine now. As of yet, I don't know what I think about that. But it is a truism that once Pandora's box is open we cannot close it. Some say, "Enjoy the ride!" I suppose, that's just what I intend to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment